Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Snails and puppy dog tails ...

... are what little boys are made of.


DS discovered snails a long time ago. But what he saw this past weekend was a first in his snail hunting adventures: a snail laying eggs in our yard. DH discovered it as the two of them were outside trying to "pretty up" the patio for company. Don't let me fool you though. First off, there is not much to our yard or pretty-ing up to be done. Secondly, most of their time is spent looking for snails, butterflies, flowers and playing with the garden hose not cleaning. But I must admit, I love seeing my boys out there in the dirt and wouldn't have it any other way.


After DH found the snail eggs DS quickly ran inside to tell me about it. I quickly ran outside to see because I was curious. You see, being a girl, any time spent in the dirt (& it was limited) was spent making mud-pies, cakes, and cookies not looking for creepy crawly things. Although, I did find it pretty cool and even grabbed my camera to catch a picture (see below).


I asked DH if he had ever seen something like that.


His reply, "of course, I am a boy. I spent most my time outdoors catching anything that moved so I could then put them in a box and try to make them fight."


Hmmmm. I walked away and asked myself, "is that normal?". If so, I sure have a lot in store for me.


Luckily I have the The New York Times bestseller Dangerous Book for Boys in case DH ever forgets what it is like to be a boy. But really, what are the chances of that? After DS had long lost interest in the snail eggs DH stood there staring and playing with it .... wake up Dear Hubby ... And I am supposed to think they are outside cleaning the patio. Ha!

No comments: